Keeping your skin hydrated will help keep the fine lines to a minimum.
* Be sure to apply a daily moisturizer. If anti-aging is your goal, then a moisturizer that is suited for your skin type is what is needed. If you are dry, the extra moisture will help. If you are oily, then you need a moisturizer that will hydrate your skin, but not add more oil.
* If acne is a problem, be sure to use a moisturizer that kills the bacteria and also hydrates the skin. If you have a problem with breakouts, using a moisturizer that is not suited for your skin type may cause added problems.
* Be sure to use an eye cream. You want to keep the delicate skin around the eyes moist and hydrated. This area is so sensitive and one of the first areas to show the signs of aging. Even if you have never used an eye cream, now is the time to start. It does not matter your age. If you smoke, an eye cream is a must.
* You want to use a product to soften fine lines around the mouth area. One with peptides or hyaluronic acid to give the appearance of a smoother skin.
* Keep sun exposure to a minimum. Excessive time in the sun will add to the aging of your skin. Sun exposure and smoking are two of the most aging effects to your skin.
* Daily you must apply sunscreen. This is not a choice, but a necessity. Your skin is so delicate and you need to protect it. Smoking may dry out the skin, so you need that protective barrier for added protection.
* Your face is not the only area that is affected by smoking. You also want to include the fragile area of the neck and your décolleté (chest) area. These areas should be considered as important as your face. In many people, the neck is the first place to show signs of aging. If you start early, you can delay the aging effects on your skin. If you are older, it is never too late to start caring for your skin.
Written by JoElla Milan November 2008